Schedule of Events
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
3:30 p.m., Slee Hall (UB's N. Campus)
View list of previous faculty/staff honorees.
SUNY Distinguished Ranks
In recognition of exceptional faculty merit, the State University of New York Board of Trustees designates leading State University faculty members as Distinguished Professors. This rank is accorded to faculty who have distinguished their campus and State University communities through outstanding academic contributions, including scholarly publications, national and international research presentations, research findings, and the training of students. The State University of New York Board of Trustees grant Distinguished Teaching Professorships to faculty members whose pedagogical accomplishments are extraordinary. The State University of New York Board of Trustees award Distinguished Service Professorships to those whose outstanding academic careers have included a particular focus on serving the university and its larger constituencies.
- Francis M. Gasparini, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics
- L. Nelson Hopkins III, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Neurosurgery
- Paul R. Knight III, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Anesthesiology
- David A. Kofke, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Daniel J. Kosman, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Biochemistry
- Lynn M. Mather, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor, SUNY Buffalo Law School
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service
Introduced in 1977, the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service honors members of the professional staff whose extraordinary service contributions have significantly enriched the university. The Award in Professional Service is presented to professional staff members who serve energetically, innovatively, and knowledgeably in their fields.
- Edward F. Brodka, Office of Career Services
- Jacqueline T. Hollins, Academic Advisement and Student Advising Services
- William J. McDonnell, School of Architecture and Planning
- Mary Virginia O'Brien, UB Art Galleries
- John J. Wood, Office of International Education
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
In 2002, the State University of New York announced the creation of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, designed to recognize outstanding academic and creative achievements across a broad spectrum of scholarly and artistic fields. Recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities are university faculty members who consistently go above and beyond their teaching and professional duties to make extraordinary contributions to their respective fields.
- Richard B. Bankert, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Chunming Qiao, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Zhen Yan, Department of Physiology and Biophysics
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship
The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship, first awarded in 1977, is presented to honor exceptional skill – both professional and scholarly – in librarianship. The award in librarianship pays tribute to noteworthy contributions to the library profession and extraordinary service to the university.
- David J. Bertuca, Arts and Sciences Libraries
- Charles F. Lyons, Libraries Collections
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Classified Service
Established in 2008, the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service gives employees in the Classified Services system-wide recognition of exceptional achievements and superior performance of duties. The award in classified service honors those employees who continuously demonstrate outstanding achievement, commitment to excellence, and exemplary customer service.
- Teresa P. Dean, Office of Judicial Affairs and Student Advocacy
- Patricia A. Thomann, University Facilities
University at Buffalo Distinguished Ranks
The Office of the Provost created the rank of UB Distinguished Professors to honor full professors who have achieved national or international recognition as experts in their fields of study. UB Distinguished Professors are members of the faculty who have been full professors for a minimum of five years with a demonstrated record of excellence in artistic or scholarly contributions.
- Anne B. Curtis, Department of Medicine
- Stephen L. Jacobson, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy
- Jean-Jacques Thomas, Department of Romance Languages and Literatures
- Joseph P. Valente, Department of English
UB Fifty Years of Service
The University is pleased do recognize the following faculty/staff members who recently achieved an exceptional milestone, completing 50 years of service to UB.
- William H. Baumer, Department of Philosophy
- Alastair Brownie, Department of Biochemistry
- Jean G. Haar, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Mirdza E. Neiders, Department of Oral Diagnostic Sciences
- David J. Triggle, Department of Biochemical Pharmacology
The President Emeritus and Mrs. Meyerson Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching and Mentoring
(formerly the UB Faculty Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity)
This award, which was established in the Spring of 2011, recognizes the outstanding faculty mentorship that currently exists at UB and seeks to encourage further faculty commitment to and participation in the undergraduate research and creative experience.
- TBA (Honorees will be recognized at the Celebration of Student Academic Excellence event in Spring 2014.)
Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award
The Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award, established by UB's Graduate School in 2011, annually honors and publicly recognizes exceptional excellence in faculty mentoring of graduate students at UB. Award recipients are faculty members who have demonstrated outstanding and sustained support and development of graduate students from course completion through research and subsequent career placement. Nominees for the award must be current members of the UB Graduate Faculty and have held faculty appointment at UB for at least 5 years.
- Diana S. Aga, Department of Chemistry
- Suzanne S. Dickerson, School of Nursing
- Thomas H. Feeley, Department of Communication
UB Exceptional Scholars – Sustained Achievement Award
The Exceptional Scholar Award for Sustained Achievement was created by the University at Buffalo in 2002 to honor outstanding professional achievement that has been focused on a particular body of work over a number of years. This award was created to recognize an unprecedented accomplishment in a senior scholar's career, distinguishing a body of work of enduring importance that has gone beyond the norm in a particular field of study.
- Joseph L. Izzo, Department of Medicine
- Shambhu J. Upadhyaya, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Bianca Weinstock-Guttman, Department of Neurology
UB Exceptional Scholars – Young Investigator Award
Introduced in 2002, the University at Buffalo's Exceptional Scholar Award for Young Investigators celebrates a recent superior achievement of a scholar in his/her field of study. Such an achievement will have distinguished the recipient as an up-and-coming scholar, as well as earned the individual acclaim for his/her work, which could be a published work or other scholastic or artistic endeavor.
- Jiyoung Park, Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Gesualdo Scutari, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Jun Zhuang, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
UB Teaching Innovation Award
Established to honor exceptional educational pedagogy, UB's Award for Teaching Innovation was created in 2003 to recognize faculty who have contributed significantly to engaging students with new methods and approaches to teaching. The award recognizes faculty members whose innovative teaching methods have a demonstrable effect on enhancing student learning-outcomes.
- Thomas E. Melendy, Department of Microbiology and Immunology