Thursday, October 20, 2016
3:30p.m. (tenative start time)
Slee Hall, North Campus
A registration link for the Celebration of Faculty & Staff Academic Excellence Ceremony (Fall 2016) will be posted here by early fall.
SUNY Distinguished Ranks
In recognition of exceptional faculty merit, the State University of New York Board of Trustees designates leading State University faculty members as Distinguished Professors. This rank is accorded to faculty who have distinguished their campus and State University communities through outstanding academic contributions, including scholarly publications, national and international research presentations, research findings, and the training of students. The State University of New York Board of Trustees grant Distinguished Teaching Professorships to faculty members whose pedagogical accomplishments are extraordinary. The State University of New York Board of Trustees award Distinguished Service Professorships to those whose outstanding academic careers have included a particular focus on serving the university and its larger constituencies.
- Anne B. Curtis, SUNY Distinguished Professor of Medicine
- Stephen L. Dyson, SUNY Distinguished Professor of Classics
- Reid R. Heffner Jr., SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences
- Mark J. Lema, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor of Anesthesiology
- Joseph C. Mollendorf, SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Marilyn E. Morris, SUNY Distinguished Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Jean Wactwaski-Wende, SUNY Distinguished Professor of Epidemiology and Environmental Health
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
In 2002, the State University of New York announced the creation of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, designed to recognize outstanding academic and creative achievements across a broad spectrum of scholarly and artistic fields. Recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities are university faculty members who consistently go above and beyond their teaching and professional duties to make extraordinary contributions to their respective fields.
- Chang Wen Chen, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Jeffrey Errington, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Mark G. Frank, Department of Communication
- Jeffrey Lackner, Department of Medicine
- Hui Meng, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
Recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, instituted by State University of New York chancellor Ernest L. Boyer in 1973, have demonstrated outstanding teaching ability through superb classroom performance. They are scholars who bring to their classes broad academic interests, rigorous and innovative teaching methodology, and current, far-reaching knowledge. Their concern for students is evidenced by the individual attention they accord each student and by their commitment to helping students to enhance their scholarly and creative abilities and to attain academic excellence.
- Mark Bartholomew, School of Law
- Katharina Dittmar, Department of Biological Sciences
SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching
The State University of New York announced the inauguration of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching in 2013. The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching recognizes consistently superior teaching by adjunct faculty at the graduate, undergraduate, or professional level. Recipients of this award have demonstrated outstanding support for intellectual growth of individual students and the use of relevant contemporary data from their disciplines in their teaching. This recognition is a system-wide acknowledgment of the contributions and dedication to high quality education by adjunct teaching faculty.
- Paul Schifferle, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service
Introduced in 1977, the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service honors members of the professional staff whose extraordinary service contributions have significantly enriched the university. The Award in Professional Service is presented to professional staff members who serve energetically, innovatively, and knowledgeably in their fields.
- David G. Costello, School of Management
- Elizabeth R. Harding, Department of Medicine
- Christina R. Hernandez, Academic Affairs
- Kara Saunders, Registrar
- Roberta (Robin) Sullivan, Center for Educational Innovation
- Radhika Suresh, Graduate School of Education
- Cheryl B. Williams, University Libraries
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service
Established in 2008, the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service gives employees in the Classified Services system-wide recognition of exceptional achievements and superior performance of duties. The award in classified service honors those employees who continuously demonstrate outstanding achievement, commitment to excellence, and exemplary customer service.
- Barbara Hammer, Campus Operations
- Carol Lennox, Campus Operations
- Mary O’Brien, Department of Political Science
UB Distinguished Professor
The Office of the Provost created the rank of UB Distinguished Professors to honor full professors who have achieved national or international recognition as experts in their fields of study. UB Distinguished Professors are members of the faculty who have been full professors for a minimum of five years with a demonstrated record of excellence in artistic or scholarly contributions.
- Janet R. Morrow, Department of Chemistry
Fifty Years of Service to UB
The University is pleased to recognize the following faculty/staff members who recently achieved an exceptional milestone, completing 50 years of service to UB.
- Mary Cassata, Department of Communication
- Joseph Masling, Psychology
UB President Emeritus and Mrs. Meyerson Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching and Mentoring
(formerly the UB Faculty Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity)
This award, which was established in the Spring of 2011, recognizes the outstanding faculty mentorship that currently exists at UB and seeks to encourage further faculty commitment to and participation in the undergraduate research and creative experience.
- Laura M. Anderson, School of Nursing
- Barbara J. Bono, Department of English
- Annette LeCuyer, Department of Architecture
UB Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award
The Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award, established by UB's Graduate School in 2011, annually honors and publicly recognizes exceptional excellence in faculty mentoring of graduate students at UB. Award recipients are faculty members who have demonstrated outstanding and sustained support and development of graduate students from course completion through research and subsequent career placement. Nominees for the award must be current members of the UB Graduate Faculty and have held faculty appointment at UB for at least 5 years.
- Margarita L. Dubocovich, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Mark R. O’Brian, Department of Biochemistry
UB Exceptional Scholars – Sustained Achievement Award
The Exceptional Scholar Award for Sustained Achievement was created by the University at Buffalo in 2002 to honor outstanding professional achievement that has been focused on a particular body of work over a number of years. This award was created to recognize an unprecedented accomplishment in a senior scholar's career, distinguishing a body of work of enduring importance that has gone beyond the norm in a particular field of study.
- Irus Braverman, School of Law
- Thomas H. Feeley, Department of Communication
- M. Laura Feltri, Department of Biochemistry
- Murali Ramanathan, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Kui Ren, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Brahm H. Segal, Medicine
- Doreen Wackeroth, Department of Physics
UB Exceptional Scholars – Young Investigator Award
Introduced in 2002, the University at Buffalo's Exceptional Scholar Award for Young Investigators celebrates a recent superior achievement of a scholar in his/her field of study. Such an achievement will have distinguished the recipient as an up-and-coming scholar, as well as earned the individual acclaim for his/her work, which could be a published work or other scholastic or artistic endeavor.
- Samantha Barbas, School of Law
- Qiaoqiang Gan, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Jonathan Lovell, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Manoranjan Majji, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Dhavalkumar K. Shah, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Hua Wang, Department of Communication
UB Teaching Innovation Award
Established to honor exceptional educational pedagogy, UB's Award for Teaching Innovation was created in 2003 to recognize faculty who have contributed significantly to engaging students with new methods and approaches to teaching. The award recognizes faculty members whose innovative teaching methods have a demonstrable effect on enhancing student learning-outcomes.
- M. Susan Grinslade, School of Nursing
- Steven Ko, Department of Computer Science and Engineering