October 22, 2015 at 3:30pm in Slee Hall.
Master of Ceremony: Robert Granfield, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
- Welcome by President Satish K. Tripathi
- Remarks by Provost Charles F. Zukoski
- Recognition of 2015 UB Faculty/Staff Honorees
- Piano Performance by UB Associate Professor Eric H. Huebner, Department of Music
Reception in Lobby, immediately following the ceremony
Please register if you will be attending the Celebration of Faculty & Staff Academic Excellence.
SUNY Distinguished Ranks
In recognition of exceptional faculty merit, the State University of New York Board of Trustees designates leading State University faculty members as Distinguished Professors. This rank is accorded to faculty who have distinguished their campus and State University communities through outstanding academic contributions, including scholarly publications, national and international research presentations, research findings, and the training of students. The State University of New York Board of Trustees grant Distinguished Teaching Professorships to faculty members whose pedagogical accomplishments are extraordinary. The State University of New York Board of Trustees award Distinguished Service Professorships to those whose outstanding academic careers have included a particular focus on serving the university and its larger constituencies.
- John M. Canty Jr., SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Medicine
- Michael C. Constantinou, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering
- Gene D. Morse, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice
- Johannes M. Nitsche, SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
In 2002, the State University of New York announced the creation of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, designed to recognize outstanding academic and creative achievements across a broad spectrum of scholarly and artistic fields. Recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities are university faculty members who consistently go above and beyond their teaching and professional duties to make extraordinary contributions to their respective fields.
- Stella N. Batalama, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Ralph H.B. Benedict, Department of Neurology
- Ann M. Bisantz, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Sriram Neelamegham, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
Recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, instituted by State University of New York chancellor Ernest L. Boyer in 1973, have demonstrated outstanding teaching ability through superb classroom performance. They are scholars who bring to their classes broad academic interests, rigorous and innovative teaching methodology, and current, far-reaching knowledge. Their concern for students is evidenced by the individual attention they accord each student and by their commitment to helping students to enhance their scholarly and creative abilities and to attain academic excellence.
- Peter G. Bradford, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Steven Miller, Department of English
- Mary Nell Trautner, Department of Sociology
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship
The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship, first awarded in 1977, is presented to honor exceptional skill – both professional and scholarly – in librarianship. The award in librarianship pays tribute to noteworthy contributions to the library profession and extraordinary service to the university.
- Theodora Belniak, Charles B. Sears Law Library
- Michelle L. Zafron, Health Sciences Library
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service
Introduced in 1977, the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service honors members of the professional staff whose extraordinary service contributions have significantly enriched the university. The Award in Professional Service is presented to professional staff members who serve energetically, innovatively, and knowledgeably in their fields.
- Beth A. Corry, University Business Services
- Elaine R. Cusker, Academic Affairs
- John DellaContrada, University Communications
- Valerie A. Frerichs, Department of Chemistry
- Jacqueline Molik Ghosen, School of Management
- Krista Hanypsiak, Undergraduate Education
- Kevin Leary, Arts Management Program
- Patricia Shyhalla, International Education
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service
Established in 2008, the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service gives employees in the Classified Services system-wide recognition of exceptional achievements and superior performance of duties. The award in classified service honors those employees who continuously demonstrate outstanding achievement, commitment to excellence, and exemplary customer service.
- Vickie Searight, Department of Biological Sciences
- Deborah Szurgyi, Department of Oral Biology
- Paul Wilcox, Anderson Gallery
University at Buffalo Distinguished Professor
The Office of the Provost created the rank of UB Distinguished Professors to honor full professors who have achieved national or international recognition as experts in their fields of study. UB Distinguished Professors are members of the faculty who have been full professors for a minimum of five years with a demonstrated record of excellence in artistic or scholarly contributions.
- John H. Schlegel, SUNY Law School
UB Fifty Years of Service
The University is pleased to recognize the following faculty/staff members who recently achieved an exceptional milestone, completing 50 years of service to UB.
- Robert E. Ackerhalt, Department of Nuclear Medicine
- Harvey Breverman, Department of Art
- Sebastian G. Ciancio, Department of Periodontics and Endodontics
- Georg G. Iggers, Department of History
- George H. Nancollas, Department of Chemistry
- Shinpei Ohki, Department of Physiology and Biophysics
- Pamela M. Rose, Health Sciences Library
The President Emeritus and Mrs. Meyerson Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching and Mentoring
(formerly the UB Faculty Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity)
This award, which was established in the Spring of 2011, recognizes the outstanding faculty mentorship that currently exists at UB and seeks to encourage further faculty commitment to and participation in the undergraduate research and creative experience.
- Ana Mariella Bacigalupo, Department of Anthropology
- Lance Rintamaki, Department of Communication
- Mark T. Swihart, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award
The Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award, established by UB's Graduate School in 2011, annually honors and publicly recognizes exceptional excellence in faculty mentoring of graduate students at UB. Award recipients are faculty members who have demonstrated outstanding and sustained support and development of graduate students from course completion through research and subsequent career placement. Nominees for the award must be current members of the UB Graduate Faculty and have held faculty appointment at UB for at least 5 years.
- Rajan Batta, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Anthony A. Campagnari, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Yvonne K. Scherer, School of Nursing
UB Exceptional Scholars – Sustained Achievement Award
The Exceptional Scholar Award for Sustained Achievement was created by the University at Buffalo in 2002 to honor outstanding professional achievement that has been focused on a particular body of work over a number of years. This award was created to recognize an unprecedented accomplishment in a senior scholar's career, distinguishing a body of work of enduring importance that has gone beyond the norm in a particular field of study.
- Chester H. Fox, Department of Family Medicine
- Zonglu Hua, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Janet R. Morrow, Department of Chemistry
- Norma J. Nowak, Department of Biochemistry
- Noreen Williams, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Jinhui Xu, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
UB Exceptional Scholars – Young Investigator Award
Introduced in 2002, the University at Buffalo's Exceptional Scholar Award for Young Investigators celebrates a recent superior achievement of a scholar in his/her field of study. Such an achievement will have distinguished the recipient as an up-and-coming scholar, as well as earned the individual acclaim for his/her work, which could be a published work or other scholastic or artistic endeavor.
- Iman Borazjani, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- David Dietz, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Changhyun Kwon, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Xuefeng Ren, Department of Epidemiology and Environmental Health
UB Teaching Innovation Award
Established to honor exceptional educational pedagogy, UB's Award for Teaching Innovation was created in 2003 to recognize faculty who have contributed significantly to engaging students with new methods and approaches to teaching. The award recognizes faculty members whose innovative teaching methods have a demonstrable effect on enhancing student learning-outcomes.
- William A. Prescott, Jr., Department of Pharmacy Practice