Wednesday, October 8, 2014
3:30 p.m., Slee Hall, UB's N. Campus
Master of Ceremony: Scott Weber, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
- Welcome by President Satish K. Tripathi
- Remarks by Provost Charles F. Zukoski
- Recognition of 2014 UB Faculty/Staff Honorees
- Music and Dance Performance by UB Professors: Melanie Aceto (Theatre & Dance); Jonathan Golove (Music) and Yuki Numata Resnick (Music)
Reception in Lobby, immediately following the ceremony
Attending the Celebration of Faculty & Staff Academic Excellence on October 8, 2014? Please register to attend.
SUNY Distinguished Ranks
In recognition of exceptional faculty merit, the State University of New York Board of Trustees designates leading State University faculty members as Distinguished Professors. This rank is accorded to faculty who have distinguished their campus and State University communities through outstanding academic contributions, including scholarly publications, national and international research presentations, research findings, and the training of students. The State University of New York Board of Trustees grant Distinguished Teaching Professorships to faculty members whose pedagogical accomplishments are extraordinary. The State University of New York Board of Trustees award Distinguished Service Professorships to those whose outstanding academic careers have included a particular focus on serving the university and its larger constituencies.
- Jim D. Atwood, SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Rajan Batta, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Margarita L. Dubocovich, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Jeremy D. Finn, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Counseling, School and Educational Psychology; Department of Educational Leadership and Policy
- Jerold C. Frakes, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of English
- Joseph A. Gardella Jr., SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Eckhard Krotscheck, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics
- Aidong Zhang, SUNY Distinguished Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
In 2002, the State University of New York announced the creation of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, designed to recognize outstanding academic and creative achievements across a broad spectrum of scholarly and artistic fields. Recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities are university faculty members who consistently go above and beyond their teaching and professional duties to make extraordinary contributions to their respective fields.
- Stelios Andreadis, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Steven J. Fliesler, Department of Ophthalmology
- Elad I. Levy, Department of Neurosurgery
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Faculty Service
The State University of New York announced the inauguration of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Faculty Service in 2004. This newly established honor acknowledges faculty who have made sustained and wide-ranging service contributions to a broad array of university constituents. Recipients of the Award for Excellence in Faculty Service have distinguished themselves through exceptional service to the university and to their communities, as well as to their disciplinary, professional, and faculty governance organizations at the statewide, national, and international levels.
- Li Lin, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Bernard Weinstein, Department of Physics
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
Recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, instituted by State University of New York chancellor Ernest L. Boyer in 1973, have demonstrated outstanding teaching ability through superb classroom performance. They are scholars who bring to their classes broad academic interests, rigorous and innovative teaching methodology, and current, far-reaching knowledge. Their concern for students is evidenced by the individual attention they accord each student and by their commitment to helping students to enhance their scholarly and creative abilities and to attain academic excellence.
- Sean J. Bennett, Department of Geography
- Gary F. Dargush, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- William H. Kinney, Department of Physics
- Alan J. Lesse, Department of Medicine
- Christopher Mele, Department of Sociology
- William D. Solomon, Department of English
SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching
The State University of New York announced the inauguration of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching in 2013. The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching recognizes consistently superior teaching by adjunct faculty at the graduate, undergraduate, or professional level. Recipients of this award have demonstrated outstanding support for intellectual growth of individual students and the use of relevant contemporary data from their disciplines in their teaching. This recognition is a system-wide acknowledgment of the contributions and dedication to high quality education by adjunct teaching faculty.
- Kimberly E. Javor, Department of Mathematics
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship
The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship, first awarded in 1977, is presented to honor exceptional skill – both professional and scholarly – in librarianship. The award in librarianship pays tribute to noteworthy contributions to the library profession and extraordinary service to the university.
- Christopher V. Hollister, Arts and Sciences Library
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service
Introduced in 1977, the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service honors members of the professional staff whose extraordinary service contributions have significantly enriched the university. The Award in Professional Service is presented to professional staff members who serve energetically, innovatively, and knowledgeably in their fields.
- Bárbara I. Ávila-Shah, Department of Romance Languages and Literatures
- Scott A. Hollander, Digital Collections, University Libraries
- Joseph O. Kerr, School of Dental Medicine
- Cynthia M. Shore, School of Management
- Kurt F. Winter, Department of Oral Biology
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service
Established in 2008, the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service gives employees in the Classified Services system-wide recognition of exceptional achievements and superior performance of duties. The award in classified service honors those employees who continuously demonstrate outstanding achievement, commitment to excellence, and exemplary customer service.
- Nancy F. Schimenti, Office of Career Services
- Joyce A. Troy, Department of English
University at Buffalo Distinguished Professor
The Office of the Provost created the rank of UB Distinguished Professors to honor full professors who have achieved national or international recognition as experts in their fields of study. UB Distinguished Professors are members of the faculty who have been full professors for a minimum of five years with a demonstrated record of excellence in artistic or scholarly contributions.
- Carol S. Brewer, School of Nursing
- Mark T. Swihart, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Steven J. Fliesler, Department of Ophthalmology
- Lawrence Wrabetz, Department of Neurology
- Marilyn E. Morris, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
UB Fifty Years of Service
The University is pleased to recognize the following faculty/staff members who recently achieved an exceptional milestone, completing 50 years of service to UB.
- Stephen Cavior, Department of Mathematics
- John T. Kearns, Department of Philosophy
- David T. Shaw, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Claude E. Welch, Department of Political Science
- John M. Zaharkin, Jr., Department of Physiology and Biophysics
The President Emeritus and Mrs. Meyerson Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching and Mentoring
(formerly the UB Faculty Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity)
This award, which was established in the Spring of 2011, recognizes the outstanding faculty mentorship that currently exists at UB and seeks to encourage further faculty commitment to and participation in the undergraduate research and creative experience.
- Honorees will be announced/honored at the Spring 2015 Celebration of Student Academic Excellence
Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award
The Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award, established by UB's Graduate School in 2011, annually honors and publicly recognizes exceptional excellence in faculty mentoring of graduate students at UB. Award recipients are faculty members who have demonstrated outstanding and sustained support and development of graduate students from course completion through research and subsequent career placement. Nominees for the award must be current members of the UB Graduate Faculty and have held faculty appointment at UB for at least 5 years.
- Sharmistha Bagchi-Sen, Department of Geography
- Sharon S. Evans, Department of Immunology and UB’s Roswell Park Graduate Division
UB Exceptional Scholars – Sustained Achievement Award
The Exceptional Scholar Award for Sustained Achievement was created by the University at Buffalo in 2002 to honor outstanding professional achievement that has been focused on a particular body of work over a number of years. This award was created to recognize an unprecedented accomplishment in a senior scholar's career, distinguishing a body of work of enduring importance that has gone beyond the norm in a particular field of study.
UB Exceptional Scholars – Young Investigator Award
Introduced in 2002, the University at Buffalo's Exceptional Scholar Award for Young Investigators celebrates a recent superior achievement of a scholar in his/her field of study. Such an achievement will have distinguished the recipient as an up-and-coming scholar, as well as earned the individual acclaim for his/her work, which could be a published work or other scholastic or artistic endeavor.
UB Teaching Innovation Award
Established to honor exceptional educational pedagogy, UB's Award for Teaching Innovation was created in 2003 to recognize faculty who have contributed significantly to engaging students with new methods and approaches to teaching. The award recognizes faculty members whose innovative teaching methods have a demonstrable effect on enhancing student learning-outcomes.